The Outlook data files (OST and PST) are the core of Outlook. If there is some issue with these data files ten Outlook cannot work properly. Of you are using Outlook without Exchange then all the Outlook user mailbox data is stored in a PST file that is stored in the user’s local system. It is used for POP3, IMAP, and web-based mail accounts.
In case, the Outlook is being used with Exchange server then an OST file is formed in the user’s local system. Whenever you are using Outlook in Exchange environment, a default OST file will be created. It is the exact replica of the user’s data residing on the Exchange server mailbox. All Outlook mailbox data such as emails, attachments, calendar items, contacts etc. are stored in the OST file.
The default location for OST file is:
drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook (for Windows 7 and Windows Vista)
drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook (for Windows XP)
The OST file has a pre defined maximum file size limit for Outlook. This limit varies with version of Outlook used; 2 GB for outlook 2000, 2002, 20 GB for outlook 2003, 2007 and 50 GB for outlook 2010.
When the PST/OST file size starts increasing and reaches the maximum limit then Outlook starts complaining, user starts facing problems while performing daily mail operations such as: sending and receiving mails.
The OST files provide ability to user to work in offline mode and cache exchange server mode. As, the Outlook files are replica of the Exchange database. If some changes all the done in the user mailbox then the same changes are reflected on the Exchange mailbox data as well as the OST file. If due to some reason Exchange isn’t available then at that time user can work in offline mode with the OST file. Once the connection to Exchange is reestablished the changes will be reflected to the user mailbox data present on the Exchange server. Thus, The OST file Provides facility to user to work offline while there is Slow internet connection, temporary unavailability of Exchange server, sudden Exchange server shutdown or other temporary synchronization issue with Exchange synchronization.
Like other files, the OST files can also get corrupt due to several logical or physical corruption reasons. Some common factors that lead to OST corruption are:
- Virus or Malware attack
- The increasing size of your Outlook data files (OST/PST)
- Sudden outlook termination
- Any kinds of interruption in the software update process
- Version or other Compatibilities issues with Operating system
- Hardware crash
- Outlook application isn’t handled properly, improper startup or closing of application.
- Improper system shutdown s
- Adds-on incompatibility of MS Outlook
- Abnormal system shutdown
Whenever the OST file gets corrupt or there are some synchronization issues. Then the Outlook complains and various error messages will be flashed on the screen.
Some common OST synchronization errors are:
1) Internal error (code=0000000E)
2) Internal error (code=00000003)
3) Error 8004011D-526-80040115-0
4) Service-specific error 0 (0x0)
5) error code 0x8004103b
In this article, I am going to discuss Outlook Internal error (code=0000000E). Let’s go ahead to know what is Outlook Internal error (code=0000000E), what are the probable causes and ways to resolve the error.
Outlook Internal error (code=0000000E):
While you are working with Outlook and you face the Outlook Internal error (code=0000000E). Then, it’s clear that either your OST file got corrupt or there are some problems while synchronizing OST file with Exchange.
Cause of the error:
- OST corruption
- Improper Synchronization of OST files.
In such situation, you need to correct the OST corruption/synchronization issues using inbox repair utility and OST integrity check tool.
Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe):
Inbox Repair tool is meant to scan your Outlook data files (OST/PST) and check them for file system integrity. The tool only scans the OST file present in your system; it will not scan your mailbox residing on the Exchange server. It supports MS Outlook 97-2002, Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 and Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 data files.
It works in few simple steps, first it scans your Outlook data files, checks them for file structure integrity, if doesn’t find the file system intact then it rebuilds the headers to fix the issue.
To know the step by step repair process by Inbox Repair tool, Read my previous article: ‘http://recover-email.blogspot.in/2012/08/fix-it-unknown-error-has-occurred.html’
There are several situations when Inbox Repair tool fails to resolve your problem. In such case you need to search for more powerful OST recovery method.
First of all let’s see, where does Inbox Repair tool lack?
- It cannot efficiently deal with PST files of large size.
- Sometimes, it scans the corrupted files and shows no error in the result.
- User can also have to face situations when it discovers errors, the user run the repair process, but the recovery process stops in-between Thus, leaving the corrupted file behind. Or it may also cause further loss to your data files. So, don’t forget to backup your data files before starting the repair process.
- It has 2 GB file limitation. Running the tool on the files having size 2 GB or more is totally unusable and waste of time
- It couldn’t recover intentionally or accidentally deleted mail items from your Outlook mailbox.
- The OST repair process is slow. The OST recovery time increases and efficiency decreases with increase in size
- You cannot perform OST/PST recovery using Scanpst.exe, if outlook is not installed properly
- It fails to repair the data if corruption is severe. It only works fine for minor corruptions.
- It can deal only with the file header corruption issues; it fails to recover the data if the corruption is in body part of the data file
- If during repair process, it discovers some unrecognized data then it simply deletes it. Thus, it turns out to be drastic instead to helping as it may cause you to lose some of your important data items.
- It cannot repair the password protected files.
Suppose you are facing some Outlook issues and you can run the inbox repair utility and OST integrity check tools to scan the files, diagnose the errors and then fix them. If you are running the inbox repair utility on OST file of Outlook 2003 or above version. Then there are chances that the Outlook “internal-error-code0000000e” flashes on your screen.
In such case you require powerful OST recovery software that can efficiently scan the corrupted files and fix the OST corruption or synchronization related issues. The OST recovery software repairs the corrupted OST file and save the repaired items into PST format. You can import the recovered PST file into Outlook and access the data within it. Different vendors provide various OST recovery software and services.
You can find the list online along with Demo versions available at their official sites. Run the Demo versions, evaluate their functioning and choose the one that best suit your needs.
To know about other OST synchronization errors, read my upcoming articles.