Have you ever faced MS outlook error code 0x80040116 while accessing MS Outlook? If your answer is 'Yes' then I believe you must have tried the Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) or the 2 GB Truncation tool.
First of all you may try some manual steps:
1. Create new mail profile.
2. Attach the existing PST file that you want to use.
3. Now you can use the existing pst file without any error.
You may also use Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to resolve this error. But this tool has few limitations such as:
- It can only repair corrupt PST with header corruption and not any other issue.
- Sometimes it may report that no errors were found.
To resolve this issue, you will have to run the "2 GB Truncation" tool or PST crop tool.
|Fix All Outlook Errors & Restore Mail Items with Outlook PST Repair Software|
You may try the following method to recover your PST file:
- First run the "2 GB Truncation" tool
- Run the Inbox Repair tool
- and then open the repaired file.
Run the '2 GB Truncation' Tool:
1. Download the '2 GB Truncation' tool (Pst2gb.exe) from the Microsoft Download Center.
2. Extract the 2gb152.exe file to an empty folder.
3. Click Start Search.
4. On the Tools > Folder Options >View
5. Click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box, click Yes to confirm that you want to display protected operating system files, and then click OK.
6. Under What do you want to search for?, click All files and folders.
7. In the All or part of the file name box, type .pst.
8. In the Look in list, click Local Hard Drives (C:), and then click Search.
9. Note the path to the .pst file that you want to repair. By default, this file is named Outlook.pst.
10. Click Start Run, type pathpst2gb.exe -s, and then click OK.
11. Click Continue, and then click Browse.
12. Click the .pst file that you want to repair, and then click Open. By default, this file is named Outlook.pst.
13. Click Create, type a new unique file name for the .pst file such as Outlook-2 in the File name box, and then click 'Save'.
14. In the Oversized PST Recovery Tool dialog box, click Start.
15. After you run the tool, click OK, and then click Close.
Run the Inbox Repair Tool:
1. Open Scanpst.exe by searching it from Search option in the Start menu.
2. Browse and open the .pst from the folder that contains the new .pst file that you created by using the '2 GB Truncation' tool.
3. Click Start and then Repair button to repair the errors in the file.
4. Once the 'Repair complete' message appears, click OK and then restart the computer.
Open the Repaired File in Outlook:
1. Start Outlook.
2. On the File Open Personal Folders File (.pst)
3. Open the folder that contains the new .pst file that you created and repaired.
4. Click the new .pst file, and then click OK.
5. Copy the data from each folder in Recovered Personal Folders to the 'Outlook Today - (Personal Folders)' folders.
In case the above procedure does not work for you, then you can try other repair tools available in market. These tools provide you a lot of features to recover your corrupted PST file. Also, I personally advise you to keep backup copies of your email files so that you can easily recover the lost pst files if corruption occurs.