Recently, I have faced a MS Outlook error code 0x80040116 and it is very common error message that may hamper proper functioning of MS Outlook and also makes your mails inaccessible. Error code 0x80040116 is for time out error which you get when you try to send or receive any email.
- "Outlook.pst cannot be accessed – 0x80040116"
- "Sending and receiving reported error (0x80040116): unknown error 0x80040116"
- "Outlook.pst cannot be accessed - 0x80040116(where "Outlook.pst" is .pst file name)"
|Fix All Outlook Errors & Restore Mailbox Items with Outlook PST Repair Software|
Causes of the error:
- Damaged or corrupted PST index file: PST index file is used by MS Outlook to handle the requests of the users. If the entire index file gets damaged then PST file could not be opened.
- If PST got corrupted due to the 2 GB PST size limit
- PST file may also gets corrupted due to
- Virus attack,
- Abrupt system shut down
- Sudden power cut
- And many other software and hardware reasons.
- If connection between server and outlook application terminated while you are sending or receiving any email then you get this error message and not able to open your PST file. After establishing reconnection, you may fix this error.
- This error is also related with Account setting in different versions of outlook (Outlook 2000, Outlook 2003, and Outlook 2007) you are using. If you are getting this error recheck your setting and make it correct.
You may get the error code in different situations such as:
- When opening Outlook
- While trying to open a PST file
- While clicking the Send/Receive Emails button
- While trying to view Outlook’s
Personal Folders settings
You may use Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to resolve this error. But it is not sure that your problem will get resolved, it might be possible that Scanpst.exe tool may report that no errors were found. To resolve this error you may try the "2 GB Truncation" tool and the Inbox Repair tool But If these tools do not help you then you may try third party repair tools to achieve quicker and successful PST file recovery. You may check my next post, if you want to know more about how to use scanpst.exe and crop tool to resolve this error.