It can occur on any of the outlook versions 2002, 2003, 2007, or 2010 on Windows XP, Vista or 7. This error occurs due to PST file corruption. This makes the stored data and other functions inaccessible to the Outlook user. You may get trouble while reading, sending, receiving, or deleting an email message in MS Outlook.
You can get one of the following error messages:
Error message 1
An unknown error has occurred. 0X80040119
Error message 2
An unknown error has occurred. 0X80040600
While deleting email messages, following error message can appear:
“Messaging interface has caused an unknown error”.
Cause for the above error messages:
These error messages "An unknown error has occurred" indicates *.pst file corruption.
- Sometimes when you install updates on your system then, improper or incompatible updates may lead to PST file corruption and that may lead the error message: “An unknown error has occurred. 0X80040119”.
- Unauthentic mail server client
- Any change in email account
- Active anti-spam or anti-virus scan
You can use Inbox Repair Tool to fix this issue. It is a free utility provided by Microsoft that comes along with MS outlook.
Its Default location is:
Location of Inbox Repair Tool (ScanPst.exe) varies from one Outlook version to other. If you are not able to locate the scanpst.exe, you can download it from the Microsoft official website.
How to Use Inbox Repair Tool to repair corrupted PST file?
First, you need to locate PST file:
1. Go to the Control Panel window in Windows Operating system.
2. Choose “User Accounts”.
3. Click the “Mail icon”.
4. Choose the Data Files button in mail setup –Outlook dialog box.
5. Select the Personal Folder file and choose Settings button.
6. Copy the location of File Name and paste it onto Windows explorer
After completing the above steps, you have found the exact location of your damaged PST file.
Now, follow the below steps to locate Inbox Repair Tool:
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Now, according to the version type, you can type below given path addresses:
- For MS Outlook 2002: %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
- For MS Outlook 2003: %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\
- For MS Outlook 2007: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12\
- For MS Outlook 2010: %ProgramFiles%\ Microsoft Office\Office14\
Use Inbox Repair Tool to repair corrupted PST file:
1. Once the path is specified choose Go button. You are navigated to the folder with scanpst.exe and allow PST repairing.
2. Locate the tool and double click to open it.
3. You can now browse corrupt PST file and choose Start button
4. Follow the instructions that prompt after clicking the Start button
After completion of the above steps you will get the Outlook PST file repaired.
However, Sometimes Inbox repair tool unable to fix this error.
This happens due to the Limitations of Inbox repair tool
- It cannot repair PST files that have size above 2GB.
- It cannot repair highly damaged PST files.
- It repairs PST file in ANSI format only.