In my previous post I have shared ‘what is PST file?’ In this post I am sharing the importance of PST file. As we are aware that PST file is a local Archive / Storage file to store emails, folders, posts, appointments, meeting requests, contacts, distribution lists, tasks, task requests, journals, notes, etc. When you setup your account in Microsoft Outlook it will automatically create a PST file and associate it with your created account.
Let us know how Microsoft Outlook Came into Existence?
Outlook Express is a basic Internet email and news client that is included with Internet Explorer versions 4.0 through 6.0. Later on MS outlook came into existence with more added features. MS Outlook was developed as part of Microsoft Office with the corporate user in mind. Outlook is a full-featured personal email-client.
- Mailbox size gets reduced because of PST file. It works just like a normal mailbox folder in Outlook.
- It is very easy to create mailbox backup just by copying PST file to a local system and save it to a desired location to ensure that your mailbox is recoverable in any disastrous scenario.
- It is very easy to access Outlook emails on another system because PST file gives mailbox portability because you can copy PST file to USB or any other storage device and later on save it on another system and import PST file to access your mails.
- It’s easy to secure the saved data in PST file to prevent unauthorized access. If you want to add security to the stored data in PST file then, there is an option to make PST file password protected. It may be possible that PST file is containing “Sensitive” or “Confidential” data, in such situation, you can move your mailbox off the Email / Exchange Server to a local .PST file and can make it secure by applying password.
- You can access the data from the mailbox even when MS outlook is not connected to exchange server.
Thus, in this article I have covered the importance of PST file in MS outlook. PST files are more vulnerable to corruption than normal data files. There can be several reasons for corruption of a PST file such as unexpected or improper shutting down of Outlook, improper/interrupted compaction of PST, virus/malware infection, contradiction with newly installed hardware/software, file system corruption, operating system malfunction etc. Later on, I will discuss various issues and how you can recover corrupted PST file with an important PST Recovery Software in my next post.